Capt. Don's Retirement

Capt. Don's Retirement

Thursday, April 9, 2015

My Mother, Zelma Coy Mallon


July 16, 1916 – October 20, 2012

My mother, Zelma, whose name came from the nurse who attended her home birth, was born on a Dexter, Michigan farm in 1916.
She grew up there and remained very much a “farm girl” all of her life. She had a very strong concept of what is right and wrong.
As my brother Tim has said many times, “she did not have a mean bone in her body, “but she could be opinioned and argumentative.
Her fondest wish in life was to become a mother. Tim, my sister Jennifer and I agree she was a good mom who always put our welfare above all else in her life.
Born in 1916! 
Take a moment to consider all the things that occurred in her lifetime.
-World War I and II as well as all the conflicts since.
-The common use of automobiles, airplanes, television, cell phones and computers.
-Nuclear power and weapons, organ transplants and advance treatments for cancer and other diseases.
My mother remembered when her house first got electricity, running water and an indoor toilet.
Physical Activity
In an autobiography she finished in 1993, she recounted how she loved to participate in games while at school, especially “tip” which apparently was a form of softball without a bat.
She continued that interest in sports and physical activity all of her life.
One of my earliest memories is being at softball game she was playing and the uniform she wore. She was their pitcher. Mom always brought balls, gloves and bats to any family picnic.
She continued physical activities, often swimming, well into her 90’s until back pain force her to stop. Even after that she did regular sit ups.
Religion
Mother’s religion and church activities were always important to her. As a girl highlights of the year were Easter and Christmas events at Dexter’s Methodist Church.
She retained a lifetime interest in understanding scripture and bible study group meetings were important events on her calendar.
Of special interest to her was the work of missionaries. She not only supported it with contributions, but housed returning missionaries in her home.
She also visited them at their sites in such exotic places as China, Japan and India.
She very much believed in the presence of Jesus in her daily existence and hoped to reach heaven in an afterlife.
Holiday Meals 
Now mom also made wonderful holiday meals that we all looked forward to. She would start early preparing the fixings so that they would all be ready at the same time.
Mom, who rarely drank, on a few of these occasions, then would relax with a half of a glass of wine.
Wham! When the effect of even that little amount of alcohol hit her, everything would quickly unravel.
The rest of us ended up scrambling to get the food on the table and the blessings said.
Genealogy  
As many of you know, mother was very interested in the genealogy of both sides of our family.
She spent many years researching our ancestors’ lives in locations like Michigan and Kansas and through events like the Civil War and western migration.
She also took a number of trips back to England and Ireland to look up long lost relatives both alive and dead.
Some branches of the family she was able to trace back to the 1700’s.
She has left the family with a wonderful record of all of her work. My cousin Cheryl Middleton has picked up the baton and done some beautiful work of her own.
Travel 
From her early adult years mom was an avid traveler. As a young woman, before and during World War II, she visited the states of Wyoming, California, Louisiana and Florida among others.
In Los Angeles she worked welding toilet seats in bombers (yes, she was a real life “Rosie the Riveter”) and in most of the other places she worked as a hair dresser.
Later she and my father traveled the world. I believe she had visited over 45 countries, which is probably low. If she were here today, she would now pipe up and give me the correct number.
I remember once, about 12 years ago, I was going to visit Iguazu Falls in remote, central South America.
When I told her about it she said “I was there 20 years ago with your father.”
Married Life 
My mother and father met in Florida in February of 1945 while he was still in the army near the end of WWII.

Mom and Dad, Florida, February 1945
They were married one week later on Washington’s Birthday and I was born 10 months later in California.
They made their new home in the Los Angeles area where dad resumed his pre-war career with the Racing Form as a pressman.
They raised their family in the suburb of Monterey Park and mother lived there until dad’s death in 1990.
A little later she moved to San Diego to be near Jennifer and many of her old friends who had previously moved here.
I’d like to finish up by reading something I wrote for mom on the occasion of her 90th birthday in 2006.
My mother does some things better than anyone else I have known.
The first of these is gift wrapping. I remember, prior to Christmas, sitting on the floor in the front room, surrounded by boxes, ribbons, tape and paper watching her work. 
My favorite was when she would slice the big sheets of paper in one long motion with a satisfying szzzzzzzzsh sound. I’ve tried this many times myself but never have been able to match her skill. 
She always seemed to cut the paper the right size and fold it around the box so that the ends to be taped were sharp and neat. She would then finish up with the ribbon and bow. 
None of these pre-tied jobs with adhesive for her, but the real thing, wrapped around the box with a big bow on top. 
Funny, now I don’t remember what any of those boxes contained just how lovingly they were wrapped. 
Next would be preparing desserts. We sat down to dinner as close as possible to 6:00 p.m. every evening and there was always pie or cake or some other pastry to finish the meal. 
My favorites were chocolate éclairs (inspired by my “Little Golden Book”; Pantaloon) as well as custard, chocolate and prune whipped pies (the latter choice was never fully appreciated by my sister and brother). 
It is probably a good thing that I have not found her equal as a dessert-maker in my adult life. 
Lastly is her wonderful ability to make and retain friends. 
She still has life-long pals from her girlhood in Dexter, Michigan that she has stayed in contact with all these years. 
Francie Anson, whom we met 60+ years ago when I was a baby and we all lived in Basalone Homes, is still a dear friend. 
The Lunsfords and Evelyn Jones from our days on Riggin Street in Monterey Park were fast friends until they passed away. 
And our neighbors from Ferdinand Street, where we moved in 1953, the Benitez’, Gantz’, Chevaliers and many others are still very much a part of her life today. 
Now, since moving to San Diego in 1993, she has added more people from church and neighbors to her circle. 
Maybe, with a lot of effort, most of us can turn out a wrapped present or an occasional dessert to match mom’s. But few, if any, can truly claim so many rewarding friendships, over so many years, as can my mom. 
I’m proud to be your son.
So mom, today I say “so long”. You were there for my first breath and I was there for your last.
You were what you always wanted to be, a good mother.
I love you.
Good Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment