Capt. Don's Retirement

Capt. Don's Retirement

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Colorado Peaches




August and September mean peaches in Colorado.


A firm, ripe peach has always been my favorite fruit, but I have often been disappointed with those that I have purchase in stores.
Colorado Affordable HealthSince moving to Colorado however I have discovered fruit from our Western Slope. Each year in late summer we here on the Front Range are privileged to be able to buy cherries, cantaloupe, peaches, plums and more; all grown in Western Colorado communities such as Fruita, Peonia and Palisade. This is eating at its best, food to look forward to and to remember with appreciation in the Winter.
The Boulder Farmers’ Market on Saturday and Wednesday afternoons is a good place to pick up this produce, but we usually buy several boxes of peaches (now up to 5 I believe) from the Rotary Club who use it as a fund raiser for their organization. I was told they sold over 1000 boxes this year. The Saturday they come in many cars are lined up in the parking lot, patiently waiting their allotted treasure.
Anyone up for peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream?

No comments:

Post a Comment