Capt. Don's Retirement

Capt. Don's Retirement

Thursday, April 9, 2015

My Cousin Mary Jo


Wow, first cousin Mary Jo married 50 years???

My first memories of Mary Jo are from when my mother Zelma Coy Mallon, father Larry and brother and sister Timothy and Jennifer would make the long car trip, almost every summer during the ’50’s and early ‘60’s, from Monterey Park, California to Zelma’s hometown of Dexter, Michigan.
Dexter was so different from Southern California that I always looked forward to the adventure. I particularly enjoyed my cousins. Our Uncle Lavern and Aunt Merl’s children were all adults by then, but were always kind and we spent a good deal of time with Ed Coy, and some with his brother Dean, “helping” on their farms.
Uncle Ashley and Aunt Jo’s children, Chuck, Dick and Mary Jo were closer to our ages and were always a lot of fun to be with. Mary Jo was the tolerant older sister who could drive before the rest of it. She was good to the younger kids and was especially valued because she could be trusted not to tattle to adults about some of things we were doing that would not have be approved of.
I never remember Mary Jo wanting to make a fuss about anything, so it is completely within character that she has resisted a big celebration for their Golden Anniversary.
Rich Ulrich came into the picture after, so we did not get to know him until in later years, but we know him to be a “good guy.”
I look back on those trips fondly, I just hope those that had to put up with us feel the same way.
These last years we have actually been able to see a lot of Mary Jo and Rich, as they have travelled to San Diego to attend my mother’s 90th birthday party and Cindy Schlager and I have been back to Michigan a number of times for a variety of family events.
As it was for me all those years ago, it is still an anticipated adventure to hook up again with Mary Jo, Rich and the rest of the family.
And, just so she knows, Mary Jo is still 16 in my mind’s eye.
Fondly,
Cousin Charley Mallon
January 13, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment